Sunday, March 6, 2011

Not my Monday Plan

Recently, I spent a day doing exactly the opposite of what I had in mind. Mondays are meant to be productive, aren't they? This looks likes a task list run through, tangible obstacles overcome, and what I want to get done, right? God chuckles at our plans sometimes as we scamper towards "productivity" instead of seizing the moment.

My moment came when I needed a few of my Hispanic church friends to help me pick up a bunch of donated household furniture and goods for our Mission resource center. What I hoped would be 3 hour tour turned into an entire afternoon. When it is sleeting and when the uhaul trailer pickup takes an hour, suddenly your trip turns into 5 hours. Five hours spent with three guys both in the car and working together. Stop! Maybe this is exactly what God had in mind! It hit me, yes, this was more productive than anything I could have accomplished in the office and yes, we did pick up the furniture, but we bonded. This was exactly what we needed, this is exactly what I needed, this is exactly what God wanted. What a successful Monday! Thanks, God, for giving me a chance to connect with guys in our church when I sometimes feel myself begging for this.

No comments: