Thursday, June 23, 2011

Who wants an intern?

What an innocent question. Who wants an intern? I wonder what Paget Rhee was thinking when she requested six summer interns in Washington, DC during the summer of 1997. Sure she needed to staff a camp for the inner-city kids around Calvary Baptist Church. But, did she really know what she was getting into? I bet she weighed the cost...giving up personal time and space, having to deal with occasional immaturity, and knowing it would be "LOUD". She would be gaining resources to multiply her ministry effort, new ideas from fresh young sources, and she would be in for a lot of laughs.

I was one of the interns that gained an unforgettable experience that would teach me much more that I could have read in a book. I gained a chance to sit under a patient leader, the opportunity to try and fail, and exposure to the realities of kids living in the heart of urban DC. It changed my life for sure and find myself reflecting on my experiences there quite a lot this summer. However, I am seeing things more from the other side. Now, I am the leader who has a chance to patiently walk beside interns and see them grow and do great things. I've counted the costs and I have answered the question, "Who wants an intern?", without any hesitation. Adelante, send 'em here!

No comments: