Thursday, October 27, 2011

Driving Into the Unknown

During almost all seasons of ministry, I find myself in my car driving to meet specific immigrant families. Most often this happens at night since their work schedules dictate when they are available. I've tried many different ways to assure myself a good visit--better said, to find them at home and willing to have me. I've called a week in advance like a scheduled North American, I've just showed up at their door like a family member, and I've called just before I get in my car so as not to waste a trip. Here is my conclusion--There is no magic formula.

Last week, the Holy Spirit took control of the who, what, where. It didn't start out that way, though! I had two families in mind to visit and after calling and driving by their homes I was about to go home with nothing to show for my efforts. Not a fun feeling! I kept driving this time and passed by a family's home who comes to our outreach activities and comes to our church very inconsistently. I stopped, even though they were neither of the families I planned to visit.

After an hour of visiting with them, it seemed like the time to leave and let them have the rest of their evening. Suddenly, Lorena asked me to pray for her. She started to tear up as she shared that the next day was the anniversary of her brother's death in Mexico. Wow, I couldn't believe the timing! I prayed for her right then. This was huge, especially considering that we held a memorial service for her brother in our building so that she could share about him and her family living here could have some closure.

I didn't plan on stopping at Lorena's house, but am grateful God took me from my unknown to a place He knew needed His touch. Thank you, Lord for letting me be part of this!

No comments: