Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Wedding Vows

"Do you take...to be your wedded...?"  Yes, these two Bhutanese refugees stood before me on Monday and professed their love and vows to one another.  I admit this is the first time I have married a couple without doing pre-marital counseling, but I feel confident this was right.  How?  Are you asking this?  The answer...because they have relationship with Mission Adelante.  No, I don't know them but David Stetler, Kristen Maxwell, Drew Hammond, Lauren Timberlake, and Hannah Hume know them and have built relationships with them.  This is the non-negotiable in my book.  I would never have pronounced them as man and wife, otherwise.  This young couple who profess Hinduism as their faith had a chance to hear the story of our Creator and His Son's life, work, and resurrection.  I hope this takes hold of their hearts even more than the romantic love and commitment they feel toward one another.  "I now pronounce you man and wife!"  Too bad I missed their Bhutanese/Nepali cultural wedding with their community.  Maybe they will invite me to their home for some chai some day!  

No comments: