Thursday, June 13, 2013

A Policy Worth Backing

Our ministry has always looked for the best and fastest ways to meet the needs of our immigrant neighbors and we've initiated all our programs with the hope of meeting real needs of our community.  Sometimes we see a need that we cannot change.  I can remember one of the first times an immigrant friend came to me wanting to be right legally with the law--he was undocumented.  He wanted me to show him what to do and walk with him in the process.  As I investigated, I learned that it was impossible.  There was nothing I could do to help him!  Though his desire was good and right, he would not be able to find any resolve.

Why is this the case?  Many immigrants came to the U.S. on a visa and then stayed.  Some crossed the border illegally.  Now, we have 11 million individuals here without documents.  They have planted their lives here, raised children, and given to our economy and society.  However, our current public policy has not allowed for them to come forward, pay a fine, get in line, and have the opportunity to be here legally.  BUT, this may change.  This may change because our Senate is debating a bill which would do just that.  The bill would also secure our borders, expand visas for highly skilled workers, and more.  I've read the summary of it and I think should satisfy all sides.

Here's what is missing...our voices.  Our Senators don't know where we stand as Christians and many are making phone calls and emailing our Senators with negative messages.  Many of these negative messages stem from fear of immigrants.  Wow, have they not taken time to sit for an hour talking to an immigrant and getting to know them?  Friendship and dialog changes everything.  Then look at the Bible and see God's concern for the vulnerable and perspectives change!

I called Senator Moran's office yesterday and asked him to vote for this bill (S744).  It took only one minute!  Will you join me in doing the same?  My neighbors' future hangs in the balance of our response.  Here is an easy way to join me in asking for our public policy to change.  Go to iwasastrangerkc.blogspot.com .

3 comments:

Debbie-Sue said...

Great information! I will share with others...

Debbie-Sue said...

Great information! I will share this with others. Very nicely written.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Debbie-Sue!